Beetroot Thoran is a simple side dish recipe similar to Carrot Thoran. It is a typical South Indian dish that goes well with plain rice. It also suits well for lunch box recipes. You can recommend this beetroot thoran to your children since beetroots are loaded with nutrients. It contains only a minimal amount of ingredients and hence you can make this dish in 20 mins.
Without hesitation, beginners can try this recipe. I have added only a limited amount of spices but you can adjust the spices according to your taste. So try out this recipe at your home and let me know your comments.
Check out my other Side Dishes Recipes here.
- Preparation time : 15 mins
- Cooking time : 20 mins
- Total : 35 mins
- Servings : 3 Persons
- Course : Side Dish
- Cuisine : Indian
Ingredients for making Beetroot Thoran
- 2 large Beetroots (thinly grated)
- 1/2 cup grated Coconut
- 2 medium sized Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tbsp red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder & Cumin powder
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds (for tempering)
- Few Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Oil for cooking
- Salt to taste
Steps for making Beetroot Thoran
Heat the oil in the pan and add mustard seeds. Once it crackled, add a few curry leaves to it.
Then add chopped onions and saute them until they turn transparent. You can sprinkle some salt at this stage.
Next, add grated beetroot to the onions and saute them for 5 on high flame until the raw smell goes off. Make sure you stir it continuously since it is on high flame.
You can see the quantity of beetroot getting reduced once it gets cooked. Then add masalas to the beetroot and saute them until the raw smell goes off. Check the salt and add if needed.
After sauteing, transfer the beetroot thoran to serving bowl and Serve Hot.
- Adding salt while sauteing onions will help onions to cook quicker.
- You can adjust the spices according to your tastebuds. Adding a little more chilli powder makes beetroot thoran even spicier and that will enhance the taste.
- If you want you can add chopped green chillies as well instead of chilli powder.