Bread Gulab Jamun is a simple sweet recipe that can be made alternatively for Khoya Gulab Jamun. It needs very minimal ingredients such as bread, milk and sugar. If you don’t have exact gulab jamun powder, without a second thought, you can go ahead with this sweet recipe. Though it has no exact taste of the gulab jamun, it will satisfy our sweet cravings for sure. It also well suits during festival times, since it has very few ingredients and takes very little time to make.
This sweet recipe can be done often serve to your family and even beginners can try this recipe. All you need is bread and milk. You can either take wheat bread or any kind of bread for this recipe. I have taken normal store-bought bread. This tastes well and I hope you will enjoy it with a love for food.
- Preparation time : 10 mins
- Dough resting time : 10 mins
- Cooking time : 3-5 mins per batch
- Servings : 3 Persons
- Course : Sweets
- Cuisine : Indian
Ingredients for making Bread Gulab Jamun
- 6 Slices of Bread (can take any type of bread)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Oil for frying
Steps for making Gulab Jamun using Bread
- Take 6 slices of bread and put it in the blender. You can take any type of bread such as whole wheat bread, white bread or brown bread. I have used store-bought white bread for this recipe.
- I haven’t cut the brown parts of the bread since I do not want to waste them.
- You can cut them if not needed. While grinding you can also add 3 cardamom pods if you like.
- Grind it to a fine powder. If you feel tough to grind it in a single batch, separate it into two batches. Water should not be added in any case. Transfer the powder to a bowl.
- Then add milk gradually to a bread powder and start to knead it gently. Do not add excess milk since bread powder will become watery very soon.
- Knead the bread powder properly until it becomes a soft dough. You will get a soft dough similar to chapati dough.
- Then make it a small round shaped balls from the dough and keep it aside. Let it sit for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, you can prepare sugar syrup for soaking. Take a wide pan and 3/4th cup sugar to it. Then add half a cup of water to the sugar and stir it in a medium flame.
- Let the sugar completely dissolves in the water. Do not over boil it since it will come to a sticky consistency. Once the sugar syrup comes to a boil, transfer to a bowl and keep aside.
- Then heat the oil in the pan for frying. Check whether the oil is ready for frying by placing a small portion of a ball from the bread balls.
- Then gently place the bread balls one by one. Do not overcrowd them. Let them fry freely in the oil. If possible make it in two batches.
- Stir them often to get an even cook for all the bread balls. Let it cook for 2 to 3 mins. Bread balls will turn to this colour.
- Once it turns golden brown, take them from the oil and keep them aside and fry another batch.
- Then put the fried bread balls into the sugar syrup and let it soak for 10 mins. Your sweet bread gulab jamun is ready.
- Serve your super delicious Bread Gulab Jamun.
- While kneading the dough, add milk as required since the bread powder will quickly absorb the milk. If you have poured excess milk, then add some more bread powder to bring it to the right texture.
- Knead a little bit hard so that the bread balls will not split when it is placed in the oil for frying. If you have mixed very softly, the balls may get separated in the oil.
- To check the temperature of the oil before placing the bread balls, place a pinch of the ball and put it in the oil. If the ball remains in the bottom of the oil, the oil needs some more temperature. If it comes up slowly, then it is at the right temperature and if the ball comes up very quickly, then you have to reduce the oil temperature.
You may like to read my other sweet recipes. Click Here for delicious recipes.
Hi there! This blog post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept talking about this. I most certainly will send this article to him. Fairly certain he’s going to have a very good read. Thanks for sharing!