Carrot Thoran is a simple side dish recipe that can be made in 15 minutes. Since carrots are loaded with many nutrients, you can recommend this recipe for your children. I and my husband are fond of carrots so I wish to prepare them at our home often. Moreover, this is a simple lunch box recipe that you can prepare for your kids as well.
It is a light spice side dish that goes amazing with plain rice. But you can adjust the spices according to your taste. Even beginners can try this recipe and I can assure you that it will come out well definitely. So, try this at your home and let me know your comments.
- Preparation time : 15 mins
- Cooking time : 15 mins
- Total : 30 mins
- Course : Side Dish
- Servings : 2 Persons
- Cuisine : Indian
Ingredients for making Carrot Thoran
- 2 medium sized Carrots (thinly grated)
- 1/2 cup grated Coconut
- 2 medium sized Onions (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tbsp red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder & Cumin powder
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds (for tempering)
- Few Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Oil for cooking
- Salt to taste
Steps for making Carrot Thoran
- Heat the oil in the pan and add mustard seeds. Once it crackled, add a few curry leaves to it.
- Then add chopped onions and saute them until they become translucent. You can sprinkle some salt over onions so that they get cooked quicker.
- Then add grated carrots and saute them until the raw smell of the carrots goes off.
- Next, add all the masalas and saute them until the raw smell of the masalas goes off. Meanwhile, add the grated coconut to the grinding jar and pulse twice to get a semi powdered form.
- Then add semi powdered coconut to the carrots and mix them gently. Cook for a few mins and transfer the carrot thoran to the serving bowl.
- Carrot Thoran is ready to serve hot.
- Adding semi powdered form of grated coconut blends well with the grated carrots.
- If you are making this recipe by chopping the carrots, chop them into tiny pieces so that they get cooked well quickly.
- If you want, you can even add urad dal for tempering. That will give nice crunchiness while having this food.
- Throughout the cooking, you can adjust your flame from low to medium so that the dish will not get burnt.