Chicken kheema is much similar to the mutton keema dish. Kheema means minced meat either in chicken or mutton. We have similar kheema dishes such as Egg Kheema, Mutton Kheema and Soya Kheema. This chicken keema is served with parathas, rotis and with plain rice. Moreover, this is used as stuffing for samosa, kheema balls, sandwiches and burgers as well.
This is a very simple dish that can be made in less time. If you don’t get store-bought chicken kheema, you can make keema at your home itself. Taken boneless chicken pieces and add those to the grinding jar. Pulse two to three times until the pieces turn to keema. Your homemade chicken keema is ready to cook. Chicken kheema is usually an all-rounder recipe since it can be served with breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner as well. To make this in gravy form and tips for using chicken keema as snacks are given at the end of the blog.
Check out my other Side Dish Recipes here.
- Preparation time : 10 mins
- Cooking time : 25 mins
- Total : 35 mins
- Servings : 5 persons
- Course : Side Dish
- Cuisine : Indian
Ingredients for making Chicken Kheema
- 1/2 to 1 kg boneless chicken
- 2 large onions finely chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- Handful of coriander leaves
- Oil for cooking (Preferably coconut oil)
- Salt to taste
Steps for making Chicken Kheema
- Heat oil in the cooking pan. Add onions and saute them until the onions become transparent. Saute in the medium flame so that the onions get cooked well.
- Once the onions sauteed well, add ginger garlic paste to it and saute it until the raw smell of the paste goes off. Saute them in a medium flame since the paste splutters over you.
- Next, add chopped tomatoes and saute them in a medium flame until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Once the tomatoes become mushy, add all the masalas to the gravy and saute them so that they combines well with the kheema.
- Season it with the required amount of salt and saute them in a low flame until the oil separates from the gravy. Mashed onions and tomatoes along with masalas bind well with the kheema.
- Add chicken kheema to the gravy and saute them gently in a low flame since the kheema starts to boil once you add them.
- After mixing the kheema to the base gravy, close the pan and cook for 10 mins on a medium flame. You can add chopped coriander leaves at this stage.
- Open the pan and gently mix it. Turn off the stove and transfer to a bowl. Chicken Kheema is ready to serve hot.
- Add some salt while sauteing the onions and tomatoes so that they get sauteed soon.
- To use the chicken keema for the snack recipe, take some cooked kheema and stuff inside the samosa sheet and fry them in oil. These samosas make the best combo with tea or coffee breaks.
- Try making sandwiches using this chicken keema which makes the best breakfast recipe as well. Stuff them between the ghee toasted bread and serve hot.
- To make a gravy version, add grated coconut paste or coconut milk and meat masala to the kheema. Adjust the consistency according to your wish. Boil them for 5 mins on the low to medium flame so that they never get burnt. Let the oil separates from the gravy. Serve hot.