GREEN GRAM CURRY WITH STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS AND PICTURES ARE GIVEN HERE
Green gram is also known as Mung Bean which belongs to the plant species in the Legume family. It is rich in protein and vitamin A. Hence adding green grams to our diet at least in a month leads to a healthy life. Making sprouts out of green gram is famous stuff that most people regularly follow. But we may sometimes feel bored to have the same kind of sprouted mung bean. Even I and my husband are fond of eating sprouted green gram but as I said earlier, I feel some sort of boredness of eating sprouted beans daily. So I often prepare this green gram curry with chapati or rice for a change.
Moreover, this is a quick lunch box recipe. You can pack this for your kids’ lunch box since it is a healthy dish. This goes amazing with hot plain rice, chapati, roti, dosa and appams. The only thing you have to do is to soak the green grams overnight. If you forgot to soak them the previous night, then soak in hot water for at least 20 to 30 mins before cooking. This is a super easy-peasy recipe that everyone can try. Even the beginners can prepare this since it has no special things to include. All you have to do is, peel some shallots, garlic pods, chop a tomato. This is the pre-preparation for this recipe. Other than this, it has only regular spices to add. So try out this recipe and let me know how it turned out for you.
You may like my other Side Dish Recipes. Check them here and try out the recipes.
Green Gram Curry
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup Green Grams Soaked overnight
- 20 nos Shallots chopped randomly
- 1 Tomato chopped randomly
- 5 nos Garlic Pods chopped
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
- 4 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Dried Red chilli Cut into 2 halves
- Few Curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add shallots (small onions). Saute them until the onions become translucent.
- Add chopped garlic pods and saute them.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Saute them until the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add all the spices and saute them until the raw smell goes off.
- Add soaked green gram and saute for five mins.
- Add 2 cups of water. Season it with the required amount of salt.
- Close the cooker and pressure cook for 6 to 8 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released, open the pressure cooker and give it a quick mash to the green gram curry.
- Heat oil in a tadka pan.
- Add mustard seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add dried red chilli and curry leaves.
- Pour them onto the green gram curry.
- Serve hot.
- I have made the curry in a thick consistency but you can adjust the consistency as you like.
- But don’t make the curry too runny since it may lose its exact taste.
PICTURE REPRESENTATION FOR MAKING GREEN GRAM CURRY
Assemble all the ingredients together.
Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add shallots (small onions). Saute them until the onions become translucent.
Add chopped garlic pods and saute them.
Add chopped tomatoes. Saute them until the tomatoes become mushy.
Add all the spices. Saute them until the raw smell goes off.
Add soaked green gram and saute for five mins.
Add 2 cups of water. Season it with the required amount of salt.
Close the cooker and pressure cook for 6 to 8 whistles. Once the pressure is released, open the pressure cooker and give it a quick mash to the green gram curry. Heat oil in a tadka pan.Add mustard seeds and let them sizzle. Add dried red chilli and curry leaves. Pour them onto the green gram curry.
Green gram curry is ready to serve hot.