Broken Wheat Upma – with Step by Step instructions and pictures are given here.
Broken Wheat Upma is a simple breakfast and dinner recipe that is prepared using broken wheat, onions, tomatoes and some spices. I have made it as simple as possible. This is a quick time recipe that suits your kids’ lunch box as well.
In this Broken Wheat Upma Recipe, spices are added to give additional flavours to the upma. You can skip adding spices if you want the upma to be light. But I prefer adding spice powders since the normal broken wheat upma will be less flavoured comparing to normal Sooji Upma or Vermicelli Upma. I have added only Onions and tomatoes but you can add any desired vegetables of your choice to make it even more healthy. Moreover, you can try this upma with chicken and mutton as well. It will taste delicious. Tips to make Upma using veggies and non-veg are given in the Quick Tip section of the blog. This simple Broken Wheat Upma can be tried by beginners as well. So try this recipe and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Preparation Time : 5 Mins
- Cooking Time : 20 Mins
- Total : 25 Mins
- Servings : 2 Persons
- Course : Main Dish
- Cuisine : Indian
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING BROKEN WHEAT UPMA
- 3/4th Cup Broken Wheat
- 2 large Onions (finely chopped)
- 1 Tomato (finely chopped)
- 1 Green Chilli (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder
- Salt To Taste
- Oil for Cooking
STEPS FOR MAKING BROKEN WHEAT UPMA
Heat 3 to 4 tbsp oil in a pan. I used coconut oil but you can use your desired oil. Add onions and saute them until they turn golden brown.
Then add chopped tomatoes and green chillies. Saute them until the tomatoes get mashed.
Next, add all the spice powders. Saute them until the raw smell goes off.
Once the raw smell goes off, add 1 & 1/2 cups of water to them and bring it to a boil. Add a required amount of salt.
Once the water is boiled, add broken wheat and gently give it mix so that the formation of the lump is avoided.
Then close the pan and cook for 8 to 10 mins on low to medium flame. In between, you can gently give a mix to avoid burning. If it is a non-stick pan, then no worries. It will not stick at the bottom of the pan.
Tadaaa, Broken wheat upma is ready.
- To prepare with vegetables: You can add carrot, beans, frozen peas and more of your desired veggies. Chop them finely.
- Add all the veggies. Saute them first. Then add a little amount of water to the veggies.
- Allow them to boil until they are cooked well. Then continue with the spice powders steps and so on.
- Moreover, add spice powders accordingly since you have added more vegetables.
- To prepare with chicken or mutton, pressure cook the meat and add them after sauteing onions and tomatoes. Then go ahead with the spice powder steps and so on.