PRAWNS THOKKU RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS AND PICTURES ARE GIVEN HERE.
Prawns Thokku is one of my favourite recipes that I have always loved to cook and eat. We always love seafood though we eat plenty of meats. Seafood has a special taste that makes full when we have them. I have always had more passion and craze to cook seafood. Whenever I go to a fish market, my eyes will search for the prawns and this time I got them. Trust me, this prawns thokku tasted heavenly.
This Prawns thokku is a spicy semi-gravy sidedish that goes amazing with hot plain rice, roti, chapati and appam. I made this as a spicy one but you can adjust the spiciness. This thokku takes less time to prepare and but makes a delicious meal. While cooking prawns, you should be careful about the timings as overcooking will make the prawns hard and rubbery. So, cook the prawns for 10 mins maximum on a low flame and serve hot. I hope you will try this recipe and let me know how it turned out for you.
Few things to be noted while washing Prawns.
There are two types of Prawns, the white prawn and the red one. I have used white prawns. While washing them, be careful to remove all the dirt that is present in the head part of the prawn. It is a sort of dark greenish and blackish mixed coloured dirt. Also, importantly, do not forget to de-vain the prawn. It is present in the centre part of the prawn. Just give a crack with a knife in the middle of the prawn and take them using your hands. It is so delicate so that it will come up easily. Make sure to remove all the blackish dirt present in the prawn. Once you remove them, you will find them neat and clean.
You may like my other Sidedish Recipes. Check them out here.
- Non Stick Pan
- 250 grams Prawns cleaned & washed
- 2 Onions (medium-sized) chopped finely
- 1 Tomato (large) chopped finely
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 4 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Salt To Taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add onions. Saute them until they turn slight brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute them until the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomatoes. Saute them until the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add all the spices and saute them until the raw smell goes off. You can also add water if your masala is too dry or if it's sticking to your pan.
- Add washed prawns and gently mix them. Prawns will release a bit of water.
- Add half to one cup of water as per your consistency and season it with salt.
- Close the pan and cook for 10 mins.
- Serve hot.
- Do not add more water so that the thokku will become runny.
- While cleaning prawns, carefully de-vain the prawns.
- Moreover, you can adjust the spiciness as per your taste.
PICTURE REPRESENTATION FOR MAKING PRAWNS THOKKU
Assemble all the ingredients together.
Heat oil in a pan and add onions. Saute them until they turn slight brown.
Add ginger-garlic paste and saute them until the raw smell goes off.
Add tomatoes. Saute them until the tomatoes become mushy.
Add all the spices and saute them until the raw smell goes off. You can also add water if your masala is too dry or if it’s sticking to your pan.
Add washed prawns and gently mix them. Prawns will release a bit of water.
Add half to one cup of water as per your consistency and season it with salt.
Close the pan and cook for 10 mins.
Spicy Prawns thokku is ready to serve hot.