Recipe for Chilli Parota with Step by Step Instructions and Pictures.
Chilli Parota aka Koththu Parota is a famous street food across South India. It is a combination of shredded parota with sauteed onions, tomatoes and a few additional ingredients. We have so many variations like Veg Kothu parota, egg kothu parota, chicken kothu parota and mutton kothu parota. But normally, we can see scrambled eggs in the chilli parota aka kothu parota.
Usually, the word “Chilli Parota” doesn’t mean that we will be adding more chilli powder, rather we will add chilli sauce. But here, I have added scrambled eggs and green chillies for the spiciness along with the leftover chicken gravy since it gives a rich flavour and nice colour to the chilli parota. If you don’t have any of the gravies, just skip them. I have added the gravy since I had it and I don’t want to waste it.
Moreover, adding scrambled eggs is also an optional one. Since am an egg lover, I have added to the parota. Here you can add shredded chicken or mutton as well. Whatever variations you make in the kothu parota, that tastes delicious always. Making chilli parota is the easiest recipe and it is an amazing lunch box recipe as well. If you don’t have parota, just shred the leftover chapatis or rotis and make them Chilli Chapati. So, give it a try to make yummy Chilli Parota and let me know how it turns out for you.
Chilli Parota | Kothu Parota
- Non Stick Pan
- 2 Large Parotas Shredded into pieces
- 1 Bowl Plain Gravy
- 1 Large Onions Finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes Finely chopped
- 3 Green Chillies Chopped
- 2 Eggs Optional
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Few Curry Leaves
- Few Coriander Leaves
- Salt to Taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and saute them until they turn brown.
- Add chopped green chillies and curry leaves. Saute them until the raw smell goes off.
- Add all the spices. Saute them until the raw smell goes off.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Saute them for a minute or two.
- Crack open the eggs and add them. Scramble it gently and cook until the egg is done.
- Add the gravy and gently mix them. Check for the salt.
- Add shredded parota pieces and give it a mix.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
- You can add shredded chapatis instead of parotas.
- I have used store-bought parotas but if you have homemade parathas, that’s well and good.
- If you have no gravies, then skip them.
- But if you are adding gravies, then do not add salt in the beginning since the gravies contain salt.
PICTURE REPRESENTATION FOR CHILLI PAROTA RECIPE | KOTHU PAROTA
Assemble all the ingredients together.
Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and saute them until they turn brown.
Add chopped green chillies and curry leaves. Saute them until the raw smell goes off.
Add all the spices. Saute them until the raw smell goes off.
Add chopped tomatoes. Saute them for a minute or two.
Crack open the eggs and add them. Scramble it gently and cook until the egg is done.
Add the gravy and gently mix them. Check for the salt.
Add shredded parota pieces and give it a mix.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.