Red Coconut Chutney is a typical South Indian that is served with Idly, Dosa and Appam. It is a quick time recipe that can be made in 10 mins. There are many varieties of Chutney recipes and Red Coconut Chutney Recipe is one among them. It is usually made using dried red chillies and grated coconut as the main ingredient. I often make chutney recipes since my husband is very much fond of chutneys. Chutneys are usually made for breakfasts since they make the best combination for Indian breakfasts.
When it comes to morning breakfasts, preparing chutneys are the easiest way of cooking. To be honest, it has no cooking at all. All you have to do is, put all the ingredients into the blending jar and blend it to a smooth paste. Later temper it with mustard seeds and curry leaves. You can either make this chutney as a thick one or thin like a slurry.
Moreover, this Red coconut chutney Recipe includes 5 to 6 red chillies. If you want to make it with a little spiciness and with sharp red colour, then you can deseed the dried red chilli while blending them. By making this, the chutney will be in your desired red colour with less spice. When I tried this chutney, it was delicious and spicy. So try out this recipe and let me know how it turns out for you.
Check out my other Chutney Recipes here.
- Preparation Time : 10 mins
- Cooking Time : 5 mins
- Total : 15 mins
- Servings : 2 Persons
- Course : Side Dish – Chutney Recipes
- Cuisine : Indian
Ingredients for making Red Coconut Chutney Recipe
- 1 cup freshly grated Coconut
- 5 dried Red Chillies
- 1 cranberry sized Tamarind
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Few Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Oil
Steps for making Red Coconut Chutney Recipe
Take a blending jar and add grated coconut into it.
Next, add tamarind, garlic cloves and ginger to the blending jar along with the coconut.
Then add dried red chillies. While adding them, cut the chillies into two pieces so that the chutney will get blended smoothly. I have added 5 dried red chillies and among them, I have deseeded in the 3 chillies. You can either deseed like this or can add as it is.
Then add required amount of salt.
Then pour the required amount of water and blend it smoothly. Do not pour excess water so that it may spill while blending. Transfer the chutney to a serving bowl.
Next, heat oil in the tempering pan and add mustard seeds. Once it crackled, add few curry leaves.
Next, pour the tempering ingredients over the chutney.
Yummy Red Coconut Chutney Recipe is ready to serve.
- To make a thin version of chutney, add a cup of water to the red coconut chutney and boil it for few seconds.
- Do not pour excess water so that the chutney will become watery and it may spoil the taste.
- You can deseed the red chillies if you want the chutney to be less spice. Just cut the chilli and let go of all the seeds.
- You can add dried red chillies while tempering the chutney as well.
- If you have desiccated coconut instead of the freshly grated coconut but fresh coconut tastes better.