Chicken is one of the favourite food items to most of us. When we try any new recipes using chicken, automatically it becomes our favourite. Similarly, this shredded chicken plays a major role in our plate and it tastes delicious. This shredded chicken curry makes the best combination with chapatis, parathas and plain rice.
It can be made easily and even beginners can try out the recipe. If you want to make gravy with this recipe, grated coconut paste or coconut milk can be added.
Check out my other Side Dish Recipes here
- Preparation time : 15 mins
- Cooking time : 20 mins
- Total : 35 mins
- Servings : 4 Persons
- Course : Side Dishes
- Cuisine : Indian
Ingredients for making Shredded Chicken
- 1 kg chicken (Preferably boneless )
- 2 large onions (finely chopped)
- 2 medium sized tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin powder
- Oil for cooking (Preferably coconut oil)
Steps for making Shredded Chicken
- Clean the chicken thoroughly. Put them into the pressure cooker and add enough water to it. Pressure cook the chicken for about 4 to 5 whistles to cook well and be easy for shredding. I have used chicken with bones but you can take boneless as well.
- Once the pressure is released, shred the cooked chicken into small pieces and keep it aside. Reserve the chicken stock for later purpose.
- Then, heat 3 to 4 tbsp. of oil in the pan and add chopped onions to it. Saute the onions in the medium flame until it becomes transparent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute it until the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomatoes and saute it until it becomes mushy. Remember, finely chopped onions and tomatoes form a smooth gravy and so it binds well with the chicken.
- Once the tomatoes turned to mushy, add all masalas to it and saute well until the oil separates from the gravy. Saute it in a low to medium flame so that the masalas will not get burnt.
- Next, add reserved chicken stock to form a thick gravy. Adjust the consistency according to your taste. Season it with salt and stir it gently. Let the gravy comes to a boiling point.
- Then add shredded chicken to the gravy and mix it gently.
- Close the pan and cook for 2 mins. So that the gravy becomes thick and combines well with the chicken. You can also add coriander leaves at this stage.
- Once it becomes thick, transfer to the serving bowl. Shredded chicken is ready to be served.
- If you have added more chicken stock, then turn your flame to high and boil it. Check for the desired consistency.
- If you wanted this shredded chicken to be gravy or semi-gravy, then add coconut milk or grated coconut paste to it. Do not add excess water so that the gravy will become thin.
- This makes a good combination even with plain rice and rasam.